Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Things not to say to fertility-challenged couples

(Note:  This post is purely for theraputic reasons!  Venting is quite soothing for me!)  In 2002 as we were on our third insemination attempt, I started to notice a theme of comments people made.  Sometimes they were close to us, sometimes not.    One of my least favorite 4-letter words now is "Just".  People would ask if we were PG  - we had nothing to report of course.   At times the advice would come spewing forth without any thought.  And this golden advice seemed to always start with the word "Just".  Just adopt, Just stop thinking about it and it will happen, and by far the most dreaded comment of all "Just relax - you'll never get pregnant if you're stressed out."  Almost always - this one came from women who could spit out babies by merely thinking she wanted one.  Of course none of this advice was meant to be malicious - but to any woman who thinks her body might be failing her - these words almost implied that it was MY fault, and the solution was SO SIMPLE that the word "Just" would fix everything in a snap.  Even as I type this I feel my breathing becoming shallow.......  So as time went on, I learned to reply with a smile - "Gee - I never thought of that before."  
So honestly - the best things to say is to simply ask how it's going?  Do you want to talk about it?  Tell me what the treatment is like.  Listen - don't advise.

No comments:

Post a Comment