Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Embryo Transfer

On the 18th we had the embryo transfer procedure.  I made Dan come along this time for good luck.  He came the first time we had IVF.  The 5 other times I did not ask him to come.  

It is very cool to see the embryos before they put them in, and the embryologist, Mark, describes what qualities he looked for to select the best ones.  There were 5 that matured into great quality - so we selected 2.  2 is the maximum.

After all these years I have become very attached to the nurses, and of course I have gotten to know the doctor and even the embryologists.  They all seem too excited for my liking.  I realize that over all - the chances for success are much higher with donor eggs.  So Mark is very excited, and Kelly, the nurse we have know the longest, is practically dancing.  They say the rates of success are 60-75%. 

Tuesday and Wednesday I kept myself very busy with working at school and other things.  Today I feel anxious though.  Physical work and running around are the best ways to cope.  They say implantation takes place in the few days after the procedure.  There is nothing I can do to encourage or discourage it.  They encourage mild activity - just nothing heavy duty.  Sounds perfect to me!

I am due for the blood-PG test on May 27th.  I keep going back and forth about whether I go in that day or wait until after the holiday weekend.  I have a feeling it will drive me crazy not to know.  Before I was convinced I would want to wait until after Memorial Day.  We will see....

No comments:

Post a Comment